Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Slightly Premature Wrap Up

With this project not quite in the wrapping-up stage, I'm slightly hesitant to post my "final thoughts and criticisms" on this cardboard chair. But I've come to a final structure and I think that is enough of platform to spring from, so here goes nothin'....the FINAL.





And as always, as I step back and try and rack my brain from some important lessons I have learned:

1. Cardboard is a very difficult medium to work with. You may think you've got it nailed with your prototype made of card stock but sorry my friend, cardboard is a much bigger foe. It refuses to bend in places where it's needed and buckles in places designated crucial. In order to succeed, you've got to learn to compromise; learn it's weaknesses as well as it's strengths and develop designing a structure within those boundaries.

2. There IS such a thing as a cardboard paper cut. They require extra band aids.

3. When you make a decision, make it, create it and then step back. Sometimes what seems like a great idea at the time isn't always your best thought in an hour. Learn to work and rework; reinvention can produce marvelous results.

4. Mistakes are inevitable. Katie Whiteman and "smooth" have never ever been even remotely close in comparison. If you create a blooper, learn to love it. Sometimes your mistakes create your biggest opportunities.

5. Grow. Just like this chair has grown from a single sheet of cardboard to a chair, as designers we must learn to take this process of design, analyze it, learn from it, and grow. Do you really think Charles and Ray Eames accomplished what they did by remaining stationary? No. Get a move on. There's a road to travel and a mountain to climb. There's so much I have to learn. Thank goodness this is just the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see how this thing works--please sit in it and have someone take your picture.

    ReplyDelete