Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lightbulbs, Bristol Board, & Going with Your Gut

It's crazy to look back through this blog, the beginning posts and projects that Tim and this lovely BDS 101 class has pulled me through, and see how much my design perspective has changed. I'm always asking myself, contemplating really, if the knowledge that I've gained and continue to gain here is what I expected. When you're initially thrown into the "big pond" it's hard to adequately articulate, but now that I've been swimming for a while, I find it easier to take a step back and observe.

One thing I know for sure is this is what I'm supposed to be doing. I love design. I love walking to lecture and lab and Hallmark knowing that I'm going to come away with something that has accurate relevance to my major.

I enjoy doing my homework. That's a statement I probably wouldn't start a conversation off with, but it's true. I love going to the design building, sitting in that classroom all by myself and creating something that I can be proud of.

The last and final project for BDS 101 has been completed. After working in the studio almost all afternoon/night yesterday, after 2 broken lightbulbs, a whole lot of Skotch tape and Bristol board, I'm satisfied. I got a little nervous when during our class critique today, no one said anything (no criticisms, no comments, no nothing), but I'm going with my gut on this one. As Rafiki said in the Lion King, "It is finished."

One of my best friends here in Lawrence, Maija Mallula, works in the photo lab. Last night, we worked together and took some pictures of the completed lamp. This girl knows how to work a camera and if it wasn't for her, these pictures would never have looked anywhere near as good.







1 comment: