Sunday, March 24, 2013

Revising and Re-approaching Type within Reagan's Sppech

In addition to seeking inspiration as we move further with expressive and kinetic type, we were also to finish out the spreads for the 30 to 60 second section of our chosen speeches and work on revising and improving upon the existing spreads. 

One of the biggest changes I made to these spreads as a whole is addition another typeface. I felt like, despite all of the different styles that Univers (the sans serif) had to offer, I was missing an element of political sophistication that I thought could only really be achieved through a serif typeface. I chose Baskervill because I felt like it too had a lot of opportunities style wise that I could design with as well as being a strong and sophisticated font. 

With this first spread, I turned my focus to achieving linear movement, successful scale change, and adapting form to articulate both a typographical sense for the word as well as a numerical one. I feel like the white space spatially compared to the type, allows for other spreads to take precedence. In his speech, Reagan starts out slow and builds upon his words. Because this is the first spread, I wanted to design it in a way that drew the eye in but also allowed for the more powerful spreads to successfully adhere to the climax of the speech.


After designing the entirety of the speech, I read back over it in addition to listening to it a couple of times to find patterns and articulation that I might have missed the first time around. In the second half of his speech, Reagan utilized repetition to create a powerful message of seeking peace, prosperity, and liberation. From a design standpoint, I tried to create cohesive repetition throughout these three spreads in addition to creating a composition that actually demonstrated the definition of the word. Reagan wanted these people to seek out these things as individuals as well as a community and so in my spreads, in sandwiching the words peace, prosperity, and liberation among the common "seek" word.




With the last spread, I knew I needed to look back at my original design for tearing down the wall. In my most recent spread I had created something that was too static for such a bold action. With this new spread I tried to create movement as well as a sense of tearing and destroying within the type and negative space. By flipping the black wall (which was what reoccurs a few times earlier in the spreads) to a white wall I felt like it changed the mood and had the viewer look at it as being removed spatially with the negative space. 



No comments:

Post a Comment