Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fighting Like Hell to Embrace Failure

Happy Thursday everyone! Besides learning how to make photograms in photomedia today, it was critique day in VISC 204! 100 drawings/paintings/collages/sculptures of a moose were due today. It was so cool to get to see what everyone came up with. Even though the three hour critique was a long one, I learned a lot and got a lot of constructive feedback to use for further development this weekend!

We were to take all the drawings that we had been working on and put them into 5 x 3 grids within the specific category. We then pinned all of them on the wall and went around and talked about which ones were successful/unsuccessful. Here are a couple shots of our zoo-like classroom.


I know I blogged a couple days ago about my progress, but here our my final grids that I pinned up today:
15 Moose Photos

 15 Gesture Sketches (Focusing on quick, gestural drawings)
 15 Painterly Pieces (Focusing on thick and thin stylized lines)
 15 Graphical (Can only use straight lines)
 15 One Liners (Can only use 1 line...yeah I kinda cheated)
 15, err...12 Collaged Pieces (Sorry people, I cheated on this one too)
 15 Moose Built from Shapes (Circles, squares, triangles, & that's it)
15 Drawings Using an Alternative Tool (Materials used: Nailpolish, paprika, cinnamon, onion powder, peanut butter, chocolate frosting, toothpicks, mascara, and an apple)

It's been a lot of hard work and late nights finishing the homework but it's been worth it. I'll leave you with Tad's message that greeted us as well all came in tired and discouraged:
Thanks Tad, I really needed to hear that. I am getting to go to school to pursue a passion I've had since before I can remember. We're all going to fail, it's inevitable. But you betcha I'm going to fight like hell to succeed. I love this too much not to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment