Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Learning Crucial Lessons from the Prototypes

And from there, I headed myself down to the Common Shop and began to translate all these 2D sketches into something material.

 This is my first attempt at my vessel's prototype. It didn't go as well as I had hoped but I learned a lot about the material I was using and how far I could push the angles and the shape.
I also didn't make a lid with this design because my idea was to "show off" my object rather than "hide" it in a vessel.
In between my first and second attempt at a feasible prototype, I bought my poplar wood and glued the pieces together to create the very early beginnings of my final vessel.

After gluing more foam core together, I began to develop a method to play with the angles of my seams.
I really liked this angles but I wanted to continue to push these boundaries. So I cut my box into fourths horizontally and re-glue the box together to create more of a zig-zag pattern.

From there, I began to start to make my "nest" section. And in my sanding adventures, I inhaled a whole lot of black dust. I was sneezing black snot the rest of the day.

Then, using the cap of a Sharpie (which is the same diameter as a crayon), I plotted out my crayon holes and using a drill bit, went to work.

I learned an important lesson about the flimsiness of foam core and the difficulty of drilling holes within this material. I know it looks pretty rough but I think my new plan of attack will be more successful using the poplar.
And from there, I glued my original lid back on. However, because the drilling was so finicky a lot of the foam scraps got pushed back down in the holes throwing off my measurements. So even though the functionality of this prototype didn't fair so well, I have a lot better idea of the direction I'm heading and am ready to start tackling my final model. Bring on the poplar.

No comments:

Post a Comment