This is my first attempt at my vessel's prototype. It didn't go as well as I had hoped but I learned a lot about the material I was using and how far I could push the angles and the shape.
I also didn't make a lid with this design because my idea was to "show off" my object rather than "hide" it in a vessel.
In between my first and second attempt at a feasible prototype, I bought my poplar wood and glued the pieces together to create the very early beginnings of my final vessel.
After gluing more foam core together, I began to develop a method to play with the angles of my seams.
I really liked this angles but I wanted to continue to push these boundaries. So I cut my box into fourths horizontally and re-glue the box together to create more of a zig-zag pattern.
From there, I began to start to make my "nest" section. And in my sanding adventures, I inhaled a whole lot of black dust. I was sneezing black snot the rest of the day.
Then, using the cap of a Sharpie (which is the same diameter as a crayon), I plotted out my crayon holes and using a drill bit, went to work.
I learned an important lesson about the flimsiness of foam core and the difficulty of drilling holes within this material. I know it looks pretty rough but I think my new plan of attack will be more successful using the poplar.
And from there, I glued my original lid back on. However, because the drilling was so finicky a lot of the foam scraps got pushed back down in the holes throwing off my measurements. So even though the functionality of this prototype didn't fair so well, I have a lot better idea of the direction I'm heading and am ready to start tackling my final model. Bring on the poplar.