Friday, February 3, 2012

The Journey & Learning Lessons Along the Way


Although the pained expression on my face might be misguiding, I really did enjoy and learn a lot from this project. It was a lot of work, but I think the things I took away from it were worth the time and effort.

After every project, I usually do a run through in my mind to reassure myself that yes, after all that, I did come away with something. This time, I'm going to attempt to put some of these points into words:

Lesson 1: If and when you get stuck, pin it up on the wall. It's always a different picture if you're standing in front of it rather than on top of it.

Lesson 2: Don't be afraid. Figure out your concept, be confident, and never look back. "What it's" will only get in the way.

Lesson 3: Photography is challenging. It's an art form unlike any other that asks you to speak a language of time and space. Mapping it is only part of the puzzle.

Lesson 4: Encourage criticism. Our class knows what they're talking about and they can tell when something looks wrong. Take their feedback as a jolt to move yourself forward. Even if you don't quite agree with what they're telling you, listen anyways, it'll help.

Lesson 5: Utilize your sketchbook. The drawings in it don't have to be in the running with Leonardo and your concepts don't have to be as genius as Einstein; but just having a concrete object to hold all your inspirations and ideas, well its guarantees a thought process. And no matter if your project turns out or not, it demonstrates that you put time and thought and love and care into the project, and sometimes, that's what matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment