And the wood block vessel project returns...in full force. I'm sorry for the recent distractions of creativity tips and illustration postings, but not to worry, I have gladly returned to my design project. In case any of you have forgotten, we have been working these past couple weeks on building a vessel out of wood that holds an object of special meaning. My object (or objects) is a Crayola crayon. Not having a lot of knowledge on three-dimensional design or wood working, I had a lot to learn (and I still have a lot to learn) but as usual, I dove right into it.
After my foam core prototype, I moved to building a quick prototype out of wood. I chose to work with popler because of the beautiful green grain streaks within the wood. Crayola has recently been working to make their factories more "green" so I thought this wood choice was appropriate.
Yes, yes I know. It's rough, very very rough. But this was a great way to allow me to experiment with a lot of elements that I was going to use for the final. For example, I wasn't sure what kind of pattern I wanted for the holes to go in. I wasn't sure if an orderly hole pattern compared to a miscellaneous pattern would effect the feeling and shape of the vessel.
With this prototype, I continued my methods of alternating seams to give it a diagonal end (see previous blog post if you're confused). But that idea went down that tubes when I moved with wood. When I cut the wood with the band saw, even though I used a guide, my cuts weren't perfectly straight so when I went to go glue them back together, no matter how much I sanded, I couldn't get them to fit perfectly together. This lead to many gluing problems, leading to gap problems, which just became a headache.
With my object being a crayon, I also started experimenting with what I could do on the outer surface. My first idea was melting crayons (I've seen it everywhere on Pinterest). So me and my friend Subha, took a lazy Friday afternoon and did some experimenting.